Ready, set ... DO
Wednesday 19th December 2018
As we approach the end of 2018, it seems like a natural time to make some important changes. Here at Paper Round, we like to do things a little differently. This year we have signed up to DoNation, a campaign promoting healthier habits for people and planet. Its simple. Choose a campaign, pick a pledge, keep at it and report back!
At Paper Round HQ pledges include donating clothes, to taking the stairs instead of the lift. Or washing at 30 and creating homemade gifts.
This week, I’ve pledged to go vegan.
Once considered a ‘hippy’ trend is now a proven way to lead a healthier life - with a reduced risk ofand an easy way to reduce your carbon footprint.
In my journey to veganism, I researched some of the top benefits:
• Avoiding meat-based meals reduces your chance of getting cancers. This is because processed meats contain chemical preservatives, which can hinder health. In addition, meats tend to be cooked at higher temperatures, reaping other health concerns.
• Meat and milk are full of saturated fats. Cutting these out will decrease your risk of.
• Plant based eaters find it easier to reach their 7-a-day fruit and veg intake.
• The sheer amount of land required not only to rear animals, but to feed them is huge. “In Brazil alone, the equivalent of 5.6 million acres of land is used to grow soya beans for animals in Europe.”.
• Cash crops are being grown in deprived countries to feed the West. Meanwhile, local populations are starving.
At the end of the campaign, we'll all be asked honestly how we thought it went, and whether or not we stuck to it! The aim is to make realistic changes over time, so even if we have a few days off that's okay.